Things we bet you didn’t know about Southern Fire Ants:
- Southern Fire Ants like to live under parts of your house or office building. They particularly like the area around the foundation of your home, the base of your fireplace, and places where there is a bit of shelter from the weather.
- They love to eat, and they aren’t terribly particular about their menu. They will munch on your plants, other insects,and even snack on a dead animal. They are usually most active in the early summer and spring when the weather is cooler, but not too cold.
- The queens ant can live for up to seven years, while the average worker ant only lives for up to five weeks. Somehow that doesn’t seem fair, does it?
- A Queen fire ant is able to lay almost 800 eggs in a single day. All those eggs and she still lives the longest. The queen mates, then stores her sperm in an internal pouch until she decides she is ready for the eggs to be fertilized.
- Queen Ants decide the sex and function of her offspring by controling the chemicals in her body to help determine the function of each of the larvae that she releases.
- We have ways of controlling and eliminating the colonies of Southern Fire Ants who may be building mounds in your yard.
Call us @Sandpiper Pest Control
In Vero Beach / Sebastian (772) 589-0204
In Melbourne / Palm Bay (321) 728-2528
Sandpiper Pest Control